Like all zodiac signs, an individual’s sign is determined by their birth date. The Celtic tree signs and their associated traits are also arranged according to dates as follows:
- December 24 – January 20, Birch: The birch tree represents cleanliness, loyalty, purity, and rebirth. It is the first tree to produce leaves in the spring, and is characterized as patient and persistent.
- January 21 – February 17, Rowan: The rowan tree protects against wickedness, and individuals associated with this tree are said to be idealistic, progressive, and humanitarian. The tree is also a recognized fertility symbol.
- February 18 – March 17, Ash: Ash trees highlight the connection between all things in the natural world, and lend compassion, sensitivity, and inquisitiveness to individuals born under their guidance.
- March 18 – April 14, Alder: Alder trees harness creativity and determination, as well as an adventurous spirit and intuitive nature.
- April 15 – May 12, Willow: The willow is a practical, reliable, and steadfast tree, and so are the individuals associated with it. Other traits include a reverence of knowledge and the ability to weather ongoing changes.
- May 13 – June 9, Hawthorn: The vigorous hawthorn tree embodies its associated individuals with natural charm and strength, including physical fitness and agility.
- June 10 – July 7, Oak: Oak trees are frequently associated with ancient wisdom, and it is no surprise that one of the primary characteristics of an individual with an oak sign is their ability to learn and accumulate wisdom through practical applications.
- July 8 – August 4, Holly: The bright holly tree is a loving protector that craves both justice and unity. At the same time, holly individuals can be quick to react to unusual situations, and that can lead to problems if not carefully tempered.
- August 5 – September 1, Hazel: The hazel tree offers individuals born under its care artistic inspiration and intuition. Creativity, particularly for drama and the arts, is often encouraged by the hazel tree.
- September 2 – September 29, Vine: The vine encourages individuals to trust their senses and focus on a strong inner self, leading to solid confidence and self assuredness.
- September 30 – October 27, Ivy: Ivy is a sociable tree and so are individuals under its guidance. Other characteristics include a willingness to cooperate with others and focus on team efforts.
- October 28 – November 24, Reed: Reed trees help individuals create order with their meticulous personalities, and complexity is often found in their lives and preferences.
- November 25 – December 23, Elder: Elder trees represent the continuity of life and other philosophical considerations. Creativity is often found associated with the elder tree as well.